Contacting the client – lead auditor notifies the client the intention to perform an audit and agrees on a suitable date.
Provision of audit plan – lead auditor provides the client with an audit plan for its approval.
Performance of the audit on-site – audit team performs audit by quality management system documentation review, interviews, and process observation and by getting the information on quality management system effectiveness. It is possible to divide an audit into these steps:
- Opening meeting – there is attended the whole audit team and representatives of the client,
- The audit itself – performed in line with the audit plan agreed in advance,
- Closing meeting – there is attended the whole audit team and representatives of the client,
- Client’s analysis of nonconformities (if identified during the audit) – client analyses the root causes and suggests suitable corrective actions,
- Corrective actions – client performs the corrective actions and sends proofs on these actions to lead auditor.
Audit report preparation – lead auditor prepares audit report which is sent to the client.
Certification decision – certification body decides on issuing, keeping the certificates valid, respectively on changes in certification status.